After the recent defeat by Arsenal the possibility of Liverpool facing another year’s exile from Europe’s top tier competition looks likely. The reds currently lie at 7th 10 points behind 4th placed Arsenal with one game in hand, but that being the Merseyside Derby on 13th of march, and will possibly be a make or break match for Liverpool for a champions league berth, as a positive result will bring them more closer to the 5th and 6th placed teams that are Chelsea and Newcastle respectively, and in better position to give Arsenal a fight. But while from now on Liverpool’s destiny lie in their hands only, they are also dependent on other teams in the race to fall short and this weekend gives them a good chance as Newcastle and Arsenal play each other on Monday, while a draw seems to be a good result for Liverpool in short run, but Newcastle win will favor Liverpool more as, if they collect maximum points from weekend’s game at Sunderland and then at Everton they will be just 4 points behind Arsenal. Here are things that Liverpool must do in Order to gain Champions League ticket.
- Score goals- While there is no denying that Liverpool have created a lot of chances this season but they have not been able to convert them, even against Arsenal Liverpool were the team who created most of the team but their complacency in front of goal let them down badly, Suarez who had scored for fun in the Dutch League and also some majestic goals in England too has missed sitters although he still remains the main creator, but being a striker he has missed some chances which make him look sometimes poorer than even Fernando Torres.
- Stop Charlie Adam from Taking Corners and Free- Kicks- Sir Alex Ferguson once stated that Adam’s Corner kicks were worth £10 m alone, but it seems like he has left those golden legs at Blackpool only as his service from set-piece have been nothing short of appalling, It feels sometimes if he cannot flight the ball at all and in center midfield also he is a static and ultra slow version of Gerrard so all in all he is not contributing much to the team and after the penalty kick against Cardiff which hit the moon, it doesn’t seem he will be getting another chance from scoring from the spot. So it’s hard to think what his role will be when Gerrard returns, just standing on the center line and pass the ball sideways to his Captain.
- Drop Jordan Henderson: The only positive i have seen of Henderson this whole season is his crossing ability from wide areas, nothing else. He not by one ounce looks like a £16 m English kid after looking at performances of ALex-Oxlade Chamberlain, he cannot pass in front, cannot create through balls, cannot shoot,hasn’t got pace to beat man at wings,and his crossing is only good when he is out alone, at time of pressure he just prefers to pass backwards. Now it doesn’t happen everyday that Lucas of 2008 turns into Lucas of 2012 we can’t expect every youngster to be given time and then one day suddenly blossom up, and when there is a better alternative in Jonjo Shelvey sitting on bench then i don’t understand what’s the point in sticking with Henderson.
- Practice Penalty Kicks – I don’t want to go in stats, but Piers Morgan an Arsenal Fan stated on Twitter that he will not worry much, if the commentator announces Penalty to Liverpool, speaks volumes about our inefficiency from the spot, it has been nothing short of frustrating even old War Dogs like Gerrard and Kuyt have missed
- Make players realize importance of Liverpool jersey: Lately too many average players have donned the Liverpool shirt without realizing the value of it, i even include Downing in that as he has not done what was expected from him so Kenny who of all knows what it means to wear Liverpool shirt must inculcate a feeling of pride and responsibility towards fans inside players so that every time they step on pitch they leave their averageness at home.